In Functional Medicine, inflammation is viewed as the precursor to many lifestyle-related, chronic diseases. Prolonged inflammation causes conditions like allergies, rheumatoid arthritis, autoimmune disease, asthma, heart disease, obesity, diabetes type 2, dementia, depression and certain cancers. The reason is that inflammation leads to premature ageing from the inside out. This is called 'inflammaging'!
The good news is that inflammation can be managed and prevented.
An inflammation DNA test can show whether your body has any genetic 'misspellings' ('variations' or 'SNP's') for coding enzymes involved in inflammation. If you do, you might have signs of imbalances in your biochemistry and symptoms in your body. You can measure and track these biochemical imbalances with a biochemistry test.
Pairing a DNA test + a fatty acids biochemistry test is a great way of getting a lot of good info with which to start creating your personalised inflammation support protocol.
Inflammation is the way our body responds to injury, infection or injuries. Our genes switch the inflammation process on and off as needed, but sometimes a genetic variation causes a gene to stay switched on for longer than required. Low-grade inflammation over a long period has been linked to cardiovascular disease, obesity, and diabetes. DNA | Inflammation Panel will tell you if your body’s immune processes are running when not needed, and we can then recommend certain nutrients to help “switch off” these genes.
Plays a crucial role in inflammation by regulating the expression of the C-reactive protein (CRP).
TNFα is a proinflammatory cytokine, secreted by both macrophages and adipocytes, which has been shown to alter whole-body glucose homeostasis, and has been implicated in the development of obesity, obesity-related insulin resistance, and dyslipidemia.
This gene forms part of the inflammatory cascade and therefore genetic variations to this gene have been associated with increased risk for a number of chronic diseases.
Average processing time
It may sound like something out of a sci-fi movie, but genetic testing is a powerful health tool that can give you a deep understanding of how your body works.
At the heart of it is the molecule DNA. Every single cell in our bodies – from our heart to skin, blood and bone – contains a complete set of our DNA. This powerful molecule carries our genetic code and determines all manner of traits, from our eye colour to aspects of our personalities and, of course, our health. Interestingly, 99.9% of the DNA from two people is identical. It’s the other 0.1% of DNA code sequences that make us unique.
What are genes
Genes are segments of DNA that contain the instructions your body needs to make each of the many thousands of proteins required for life. Each gene is comprised of thousands of combinations of ‘letters’ which make up your genetic code. The code gives the instructions to make the proteins required for proper development and function.
What are genetic variations
An example of a genetic variation is that one ‘letter’ may be replaced by another. These variations can lead to changes in the resulting proteins being made. For example, a ‘C’ may be changed to a ‘G’ at a point in the genetic code. When the variation affects only one genetic ‘letter’ it is called a Single Nucleotide Polymorphism, or SNP (pronounced “snip”). Variations can however also affect more than one ‘letter’. Genetic tests look at specific chromosomes, genes or proteins, and the variations that occur within them, to make observations about disease or disease risk, body processes or physical traits.
Are genetic variations bad
In general, variations should not be considered good or bad. Rather, genetic variations are simply slight differences in the genetic code. The key is to know which form of the variation you carry so that you can make appropriate lifestyle choices. And that is the beauty of genetic testing. It can tell you more about the way you're built so that you can tailor your lifestyle to fit your biology.
The science behind your report
Once the DNAlysis lab receives your DNA sample, they use a process called Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) to copy the DNA in your genes many times over, so that they have ample material with which to analyse your genetic material. They then look for unique DNA sequences in your genes, and if they spot changes from the norm, they mark those as risk factors.