Organic Acids are chemical compounds which are used in essential metabolic processes of the body, these metabolic processes govern how your body changes food into the energy the body needs to grow, breath and function.
Organic acids are derived from the breakdown of protein, fat and carbohydrates from our diets and are used to generate cellular energy and provide the building blocks which are needed for all our cells to function.
This test does NOT include your 60 minute feedback session. That needs to be booked separately with us or your chosen Healthcare Practitioner.
What is organic acid testing
The Organic Acids Test provides a metabolic snapshot of your overall health through an evaluation of your metabolism, nutritional insufficiencies as well as the function of your gut.
The test analyses groups of various metabolic intermediates to determine the how well your body is functioning.
Various internal and external factors may influence your Organic Acid levels including oral antibiotic intake, high carbohydrate, fatty acid or protein diets, immune or nutrition deficiencies, acquired (chronic/acute) infections, or certain genetic factors.
How does organic acid testing work?
Organic Acids are the intermediary metabolites used in all metabolic processes in the body.
This means that they are used in the sequential steps (cycles) needed to complete the metabolic process. The metabolic processes include energy creation, through breaking down carbohydrates, fatty acids and proteins, neurotransmitter metabolism, detoxification and digestion. Enzymes are needed to convert organic acids to into the next metabolite needed in the cycle.
Our genes provide instructions for making proteins and enzymes, if there is a change / irregularity in these genes it can result in a breakdown in the cycle. Some enzymes require assistance from vitamins and minerals (called cofactors) for optimal functionality; insufficient levels of these cofactors could also affect the metabolic cycle. This would lead to abnormal levels of certain Organic Acids which may signal that the body is not functioning as it should.
Pair with these DNA tests
If you would like to pair your DNA predispositions with your biomarkers, then we recommend that you pair this test with the GENECOMBO test.
What to expect from organic acid testing
Using the results, a Health Care Practitioner can determine the need for specific nutrients, diet modification, antioxidant protection, detoxification, or other therapies.
It can also assess any imbalances which may exist in your gut. Your Health Care Practitioner can individual tailor their treatments which may enhance other treatments, increase your overall health outcomes and their ability to combat chronic illness.
People have noted health improvements such as decreased fatigue, regular bowel function, increased energy and alertness, increased concentration, improved verbal skills, less hyperactivity, and decreased abdominal pain when following their tailored treatment recommendations.
MY DNA CHOICES. likes
This test gets right down into your body's biochemistry and helps you to identify your cellular metabolic blocks and key nutrient deficiencies. This test pairs very nicely with our DNA | Health. This extensive test shows how your genetic potential for disease, at a biochemical level, is manifesting in real-time according to your nutrition, environment, and lifestyle choices. Using the test's results, you and your doctor will be better able to create a personalised nutrition treatment plan for you. Please ensure your doctor knows how to interpret the test results otherwise ask us to suggest a doctor who can.
Benefits | Features
- Children: This test is a simple overnight urine test so children can also do it. Thus, this test also has children's reference ranges, designed to provide more accurate pediatric nutritional evaluations.
- Innovative Method: The LC/MS-MS method, which is also used to screen newborns for metabolic disorders, requires very little sample preparation and processing. This technology provides more stability, accuracy, and sensitivity in measuring organic acids at low levels for optimum test results.
- Extensive Analyte List: This is a nutritional test which contains one of the most extensive biomarker lists in the industry. It includes nutritional markers such as Quinolinate, D-Arabinitol, and 8-Hydroxy-2'deoxyguanosine and thus offers great value.
- Single Urine Specimen: A single overnight urine collection makes this test very easy to do!
Who would benefit from this test?
Anyone who would like to determine one or more of the following:
- Functional vitamin and mineral status
- Amino acid insufficiencies like carnitine and NAC
- Functional B-complex vitamin need
- Lipoic acid and CoQ10 status
- Mitochondrial energy production
- Markers for bacterial and yeast overgrowth
- Methylation sufficiency
- Neurotransmitter metabolites
- Oxidative damage and antioxidant need
- Phase I & Phase II detoxification capacity
Anyone who suffers from:
- Weight issues
- Sleep abnormalities
- Chemical sensitivities
- Wants to measure and track their nutrigenomic expression in real-time
Organic acids levels in urine resulting from normal metabolic processes in the body.
Test sample type
Collect your urine sample – then secure the cup lid tightly, wrap it with the Ice Packs provided, secure them and place it all in the freezer.